This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. The Lifeguard will ensure safety in YMCA pools and aquatics areas to all members, guests, and program participants.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Communicates and enforces aquatics rules and guidelines to insure a safe environment in all aquatics areas by eliminating unsafe practices and physical hazards.
- Properly opens, performs daily tasks, and closes aquatics area each day in accordance with the Tom A. Finch Community YMCA Daily Procedures.
- Provides excellent service to members, guests, and program participants.
- Maintains a clean, safe, fully stocked, and well organized work area.
- Handles and resolves aquatics concerns and informs supervisor of unusual situations or unresolved issues.
- Adheres to the YMCA and Aquatics Department Dress Code while at the YMCA.
- Remains on duty until relieved; never reads, visit with friends or other Lifeguards, never leaves pool area unattended, or enters pool office while on duty.
- Maintains readings of pool temperature and water chemistry.
- Knows and follows correct emergency procedures and fills out incident reports; administers proper first aid and carries out those emergency procedures in the event of an emergency.
- Works without constant direct supervision and remains at assigned post for extended periods of time.
- Attends mandatory meetings and in-service trainings.
- Sets a good example in promptness, respect, manners, honesty, and caring for all members, program participants, and guests and shows character values that are in line with the values of the YMCA.
- Reports to work on time.
- Maintains current required certifications.
- Assumes other duties and assignments deemed appropriate by the Director of Aquatics.
- Be able to complete a continuous 300 yard swim demonstrating freestyle and breast stroke.
- Tread water for two minutes using only your legs
- Starting in the shallow end, swim 20 yards, retrieve a 10 brick off the bottom of the deep end of the pool and swim back to the shallow end on your back holding the brick to your chest and keeping your head above water, then exit the water without using the pool ladder in 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Complete an active save per your certification (ARC or Y-USA)
- Preform one two minute CPR scenario
- A current American Red Cross or Y-USA Lifeguard training certification that includes CPR for the Professional Rescuer or Basic Life Support, AED, and First Aid.
- Must be at least 16 years old.
- Must be able to pass a background check and drug screen.
- Must complete required Blood Borne Pathogens, Hazard Communications, and Child Abuse Prevention training prior to first scheduled shift.
- Be able to communicate and enforce policies and procedures to members, program participants, and guests.
- Be able to react quickly and properly in emergency situations.
- Must have enthusiasm and possess excellent customer service skills and excellent communication skills.
- Must possess auditory, verbal, and visual capabilities to adequately communicate to staff, members, guests, and program participants.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to be in a warm, humid environment for extended periods of time.
- Can sit for extended periods of time.
- Can stand for extended periods of time.
- Can occasionally walk around the pool deck during an assigned shift.
- May have to safely lift 50 pounds.
- May have to move and handle bulky or awkward items such as lap lanes and deck equipment.
- May have to move quickly to respond to an emergency situation.
All the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. The YMCA promotes an equal opportunity workplace that includes reasonable accommodation of otherwise qualified applicants and employees. Please see your supervisor should you have any questions about this policy or these job duties. This job description may not be all-inclusive and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by their supervisor. Job descriptions and duties may be modified when deemed appropriate by senior management.